Want to move to Spain? Learn all about the visa entry requirements for residency before you leave…

The right to live and work in  Spain depends on citizenship.

European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) Citizens: All EU and EEA citizens and their family members have the right to live and work in Spain for up to a period of three months without needing a Residence Certificate (not the same as a Residence Permit). From 10 July 2012 the Spanish Government introduced new residency requirements for all EU citizens wishing to remain in Spain for longer than three months. Under these new rules EU citizens wishing to stay in Spain for longer than three months may be asked to prove that they have sufficient financial means to support themselves and any dependants. They may also be required to provide proof of private or public healthcare insurance.

  • More information about the application process is available from the Spanish Ministry for work and social security

Non-EU/EEA Spouse and Dependent Family Members: The legally registered partner and dependent family of an EU citizen in Spain are entitled to the same rights as an EU citizen to live in the country, provided they have entered the country on valid passports and visas. However, within three months of arrival, application must be made for an EU Family-member Residence Card in person at the Oficina de Extranjeros or designated police stations. This Residence card is known as Tarjeta de Residencia de Familiar de Cuidadano de la Unión. Additional documentation will also need to be provided.

Non-EU/EEA Citizens: Any non-European Union citizen staying in Spain for a period longer than three months requires a Residence Card (Tarjeta de Residencia).