Route maps and booking information for the RENFE national rail service, FGV regional trains and trams and the urban train network, to help you find your way around Madrid…
- RENFE (La Red de los Ferrocarriles Españoles) is the Spanish national rail train service. The English-language website can be used to plan trips and check fares and timetables: RENFE in English
- The commuter rail service Cercanías Madrid serves Madrid and its metropolitan area. This service is operated by Cercanías RENFE, the commuter rail division of RENFE. Timetables, fees, tickets and information are available on the website: Click here (in Spanish)
- Alta Velocidad (AVE) is a high-speed rail service which serves Madrid, Ciudad Real, Puertollano, Córdoba and Málaga. Special offers, timetables, fees and tickets can be found on the website: Click here
- RENFE’s Media Distancia runs trains from Madrid across the country to other major cities in Spain: Click here
- Rail Europe has all the information about travelling by train across the continent
Madrid Trains: Useful Information
|RENFE Information & Reservation||Tel: 902 240 202|
|International information||Tel: 902 243 402|
|RENFE Booking Service (English)||Website|
|Booking customer service||Tel: 902 157 507 (07:00-23:00)
Fax: 915 302 283
|To find train stations in Madrid||Website|
Train stations can get very busy; buying tickets online avoids long waits in queues. Tickets can be bought online for seats on AVE, AV Media Distancia, Talgo 200, TRD trains, R-598 and all Great Lines trains during the day.
RENFE Suburban Train System
The RENFE Suburban Train System in the Madrid Region consists of twelve basic lines, with a total length of 339.1 Km. The entire system is electrified.
- To see a list of the lines: Click here
The Madrid Metro system has 12 metro lines. On the Madrid Metro system website, travellers can buy tickets and cards, see the Metro map, and check out routes.
- For a map of the Madrid metro system (in PDF format): Click here
- A list of Metro lines is available online: Click here
Glossary for the Metro website
|Trayecto recomendado||Recommended route|
|Billetes y abonos||Tickets and cards|
|Viajar en Metro||Travel by metropolitan|
|Gabinete de prensa||News kiosk|
|Enlaces de interés||Links|
- The Comunidad de Madrid website has a section on transportation. It provides details about travelling by metro, bus, suburban rail and suburban buses, including fees and passes.