What to do and where to call if your credit cards or cellphones are lost or stolen in Spain…
Lost or Stolen Credit Cards
If a Spanish credit card is lost or stolen, immediately call contact the bank or organisation that issued the card to cancel it. If stolen, the theft should also be reported to the police.
The following numbers are open 24 hours a day:
|American Express||Tel: 900 814 500|
|Mastercard||Tel: 900 971 231|
|Diners Club||Tel: 900 801 331|
|Visa||Tel: 900 991 124|
Lost or Stolen Mobile or Cellular Phones
If a mobile phone is lost or stolen, call the service provider and give them the IMEI number and the telephone number. The service will be suspended and the telephone blocked. If the phone has been stolen, make a declaration at the nearest police station. The police will require the IMEI number.
When buying a Spanish mobile phone, the phone will come with:
- A SIM card with your telephone number. Access can be protected by personalising the card with a 4-digit PIN code
- An IMEI number. This is the mobile phone’s unique identification number and belongs to the handset
This code is written on the paperwork when the phone is purchased. Note it down and keep separate from the mobile.
- To find the IMEI number, enter *#06# on the keypad
The numbers to call to reach the different operators are:
- Vodafone – Tel: 607 123 000
- Orange España – Tel: 656 001 470
- Telefónica Movistar – Tel: 1485
- Happy Movil – Tel: 902 007 599
- Yoigo – Tel: 622 622 622
Smartphone users can download apps that help to locate the device if lost or stolen.