Information on who may exchange their foreign driver’s licence for a Spanish licence. Information applies to European Union citizens (UK, EU etc.) as well as people with American, Australian or other non-EU driver’s licences…

The rules on whether a foreigner in Spain may legally use their driver’s licence, or whether they must exchange it for a Spanish one, depend on where their licence was issued. There are three options:

  1. Some licences, including EU and EEA licences, may be kept or exchanged for a Spanish one
  2. Some must exchange their licence (canjes de permisos) for a Spanish one within a set period
  3. Some may not be exchanged. The holder must undergo a full driving test (theory and practical) in order to get a Spanish driving licence(licencia permiso de conducción) which will allow them to legally drive in Spain.