There are many kinds of business entities in Spain…
The most frequently found legal structures are:
- Sole Trader/Sole Proprietor (Empresario Individual or Autónomo)
- Partnership (Sociedad Civil)
- Limited Liability Company (Sociedad Limitada/SL or Sociedad de Responsabilidad Limitada/SRL)
- Public Limited Company (Sociedad Anonima /SA)
- New Enterprise Limited Company (Sociedad Limitada Nueva Empresa/SLNE)
- Co-ownership (Comunidad de Bienes/CB)
The Legal Process for Starting a Business
There are a number of procedures that need to be completed when setting up a business in Spain. The complexity of the procedures will depend on the type of business being created. It is highly recommended to consult a legal advisor (gestor) before and during the setup of any business to ensure full understanding of the taxes, charges and possible rebates that apply, and which of the many options are most suitable for a specific case.
Note: For some companies, special licences are required which vary from region to region in Spain.